UPDATE – Current Competitors for the $160 Grand Prize are:
– Jim from the ‘Dad Posse’
The New York Hot Dog Challenge is a different kind of race. It’s a test of will power and perseverance.
The race director will release a very specific map the night before the race. It will be in Manhattan starting in the midtown area. Contestants will follow the navigate the map exactly as it is plotted, otherwise disqualified. Along the course, every time a contestant comes across a hotdog stand, they must eat one hotdog before moving forward.
START: Central Park, The Mall just south of the Bandshell
PRIZE: Cash (we will be collecting money from donations and sponsors)
TO DONATE: Go to Paypal.com and ‘Send Money’ to baker at friendsofbaker.com. I will be updating the Prize Pot as donations are received.
PRIZE POT TOTAL TO DATE: $160.00
– No teams, only individual competitors
– Race Director Baker will announce the course the day before as to ensure no practice runs are made.
– The course will be in Midtown Manhattan and no more than 4 miles
– Race will start at noon
– Competitors must stick to the course exactly, and upon passing a ‘Hot Dog Cart’ must eat a hot dog before continuing
– Competitors may not proceed forward until the hotdog is completely eaten
– ‘Hot Dog Cart’ is defined by a free standing cart selling only hot dogs and pretzels.
– Halal Trucks, or any other food truck that might sell a hot dog does not count. Indoor restaurants do not count
– Any (or no) toppings are legal
– The bun must also be eaten
– Any (or no) beverages may be consumed. Beverages may be brought from home or purchased along the course
– Puking disqualifies competitor
– Winner is defined as any competitor who has completed the course quickest, therefore walking, running, skipping are all accepted on course.
– Vehicles (bikes, roller blades, scooters, automobiles) are illegal
– Winners will receive a cash prize roughly totaling $100 generated from donations
– Competitors are allowed ‘Hot Dog Sponsors’ that can help pay for competitor’s hot dogs for a share of the winnings (assuming their competitor wins)
– ‘Hot Dog Sponsors’ are responsible for their own deals and may sponsor multiple competitors but must make it public knowledge who they are sponsoring
– New York Hot Dog Challenge website will feature logos/links to any sponsors donating cash or other prizes for the winners
– Each competitor will be assigned a referee whom will follow them and make sure they adhere to the rules